Skip to main content

How to prevent CO poisoning using ventilation systems

What is carbon monoxide? And why is it dangerous for your health?

Woman lying down in bed sick and man sitting at the end of the bed bringing in tea

Carbon monoxide poisoning is dangerous and hard to detect, but there are solutions. Installing a ventilation system helps protect you and your family in your home.

What is carbon monoxide? And why is it dangerous?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas that can cause serious illness if it is inhaled. It has no colour, taste or smell, and it is non-irritating, so it can be hard to detect. CO is produced when appliances such as ovens, fires or heaters burn gas, wood, oil or coal.

Poisoning occurs when you breathe in CO that has built up to dangerous levels due to poor ventilation, leaks or faulty appliances. It can lead to severe illness or even death.

What are the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Symptoms include headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, chest pain and loss of consciousness.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to irreversible brain damage or death. People can die before they realise they are ill, and it's especially dangerous if they are asleep. If you think that you or someone else is experiencing CO poisoning, seek urgent medical help.

Couple reading a book on the sofa in the living room that is at comfort temperature
Parents and adult son at the dinner table enjoying the perfect indoor climate

How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

Ventilation systems are one of the best ways to prevent CO poisoning.

Centralised heat recovery ventilation (CHRV) is a mechanical system that transfers heat from the outgoing indoor air to the incoming outdoor air. CHRV systems are a great ventilation solution and can prevent carbon monoxide poisoning. They remove CO from a building and bring fresh air inside.

Installing a mechanical ventilation system is one way of reducing the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in your home, but other precautions can help.

A CO detector is useful. Be sure to check the batteries in your detector every six months. Ensure your heating and water systems are serviced by a qualified technician every year. Gas, oil or coal-burning appliances also need regular servicing.

Keep vents and ventilation lines free of debris and dirt. Make sure you keep your windows clear and easy to open. And never use a charcoal grill, lantern or portable camping stove indoors.

The importance of a ventilation system

Carbon monoxide poisoning is serious. Consider installing a ventilation system in your home.

Passive and natural ventilation such as windows or air vents help, but they should be part of a solution that includes a mechanical system and professional support. Combining natural ventilation with a mechanical installation means you can be confident your home is safe. A professional system provides an air quality solution that helps protect your household from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Discover Daikin's ventilation systems today and experience a healthier, more comfortable home.